Emerald City Contra Dance
with the Seattle Folklore Society present
Contra dancing every Friday at the
Phinney Neighborhood Center
6532 Phinney N, Seattle,
in the "Community Hall" (brick building off lower parking lot)Dance from 7:30pm to 10:00pm, beginner's workshop at 7:00
$8 admission, $7 for SFS and PNA members and seniors, $5 for students, under 16 free.
First time contra dancers get a coupon for free admission to their next dance.
Coupon redemption limited to first five coupons on any single night.Please help the PNA achieve their sustainability goals. Consider carpooling, walking, biking, or riding the bus to the dance. If you drive, please park in the PNA parking lots.Bands and Callers, you can now request a gig online.
Information for bands and callers.
Information for dancers.
For information not already posted here: 206-440-9839 or firstname.lastname@example.org
All dances taught. No partner necessary.
Light, comfortable clothing recommended.
Please do not wear cologne, perfume or other strongly scented products. Thanks!Our hall has strict capacity limits. We occasionally need to limit entry due to high attendance.
Enough of the suggestions and disclaimers. Here is what you really want to know...
Schedule of bands and callers:
- May 3 - Hot Cider features young super-talented siblings Evan & Elise Snoey on fiddles, mandolin, guitar & piano, rock-solid pal RuthMabel Boytz on bass, and mama's-got-rhythm Kelly Morgan on guitar. William Watson calls.
Please note: The PNA has the upper parking lot closed for a major fund-raising event. The lower parking lot will be more crowded. Park neatly so that no one blocks anyone else.
- May 10 - Northern Contraband: Steve Blum-Anderson, fiddle; Mark Danielson, concertina and penny whistle; Greg Sherman, bass (and/or bass ukelele); Michael Hobart, guitar. Elinor Preston calls.
Please note: Phinney-Greenwood neighborhood hosts the BIG Art Walk this evening. Plan on closed streets, traffic congestion, and high volumes of pedestrian traffic. Some details here.
- May 17 - Mac's Quackers: The great Bob McQuillen (piano) and his band of merry makers will delight us this week. Frank Blade on fiddle, W.B. Reid on guitar. Bob has written a thousand tunes (no exaggeration - really), and we will hear some of them. Jay Finkelstein calls.
- May 24 - No dance here. It's that time of the year where we take the night off and dance to our heart's content at
Northwest Folklife Festival
- May 31 - Wergleyburg: Terry Wergeland - piano, accordion, Dave Bartley - guitar, mandolin, etc., and Claude Ginsburg - fiddle. Susan Petrick calls.
- June 7 - Brandon Vance – fiddle, Mark Minkler – guitar, piano, Michael Connolly – upright bass. Brandon is a two-time Scottish fiddling champion. Mark is a jazz pianist who brings some additional life to the music. Check out some music by Brandon and Mark at their website. Amy Wimmer calls.
- June 14 - RiffRaff: Lindon Toney - fiddle, Evo Toney - fiddle, Jesse Partridge - fiddle, and Jim Erlandson - mandolin. Caller TBD.
- June 21 - Eva Reich - fiddle and Scotty Leach - piano. Tony Mates calls.
- June 28 - The Fixations - Cathie Whitesides - fiddle, Sandy Bradley - guitar, and Laurie Andres - accordion. Linnaea Chapman calls.
- July 5 - JDBM: Jessica Ritts - flute, Dale Hailey - percussion, Bruce Larson - piano, Matti Mero - mandolin. Tom Wimmer calls.
- July 12 - La Famille Legér: Devon Legér - fiddle, Louis Legér - accordion, Barbara Legér - guitar, Dejah Legér - piano. Caller TBD.
- July 19 - The Quarks: Betsy Branch - fiddle, Terry Wergeland - piano, and Bill Tomczak - clarinet. Get ready for some rootin' tootin', rip roarin' fantastic music and dancing! Marlin Prowell calls.
- July 26 - The Contra Rebels - Todd Clewell & Barb Schmid - fiddles, Henry Koretzky - guitar. Matti Mero calls.
- August 2 - Susan Burke - fiddle, Sandy Bradley - guitar, Joe Micheals - bass. Caller TBD.
- August 9 - RetroSpectacles: Josie Toney - fiddle, Andrew Foster - fiddle, Scotty Leach - piano. Caller TBD.
- August 16 - Notatious: Vivian Williams - fiddle, Bonnie Zahnow - fiddle, Phil Williams - guitar and mandolin, and W. B. Reid - guitar, banjo-guitar, fiddle. Caller TBD.
- August 23 - Zollo: Cathie Whitesides - fiddle, Nova Karina Devonie - accordion, and Anita Anderson - piano. Suzanne Girardot calls.
- August 30 - Julie Smolin - fiddle, and Eric Anderson - piano. Caller TBD.
- September 6 - Marni Rachmiel and Friends. Andrea Nettleton calls.
- September 13 - The Electrodes: Joe Bowbeer - electric fiddle, Joe Micheals - guitar, and Marcy Kubbs - piano. Caller TBD.
- September 20 - Spare Parts: Liz Stell - flute, Bill Matthiesen - piano, and Ruthie Dornfeld - fiddle. Caller TBD.
- September 27 - Tinker's Dram: Brid Nowlan - fiddle, Kate O'Laughlin - fiddle, Howard Good - concertina, Jalaine Madura - guitar, and Cheryl Adcock - bass. Caller TBD.